Friday, March 27, 2009

My Head Hurts

I went to a homeschooling conference today. Odd isn't it? (I don't homeschool nor could I if I wanted to since my kids are only 1, 2, and 3!) Anyway, in my very OCD need for planning, I attended a homeschooling conference to do some research on schooling options for Anna in another year and a half! Because I am a conference addict (just went to Hearts at Home a few weeks ago), of course I had a great time! Ah...I just love getting a tote bag, filling it up with kleenex (you always cry at conferences), pens (several- in case you run out of ink), yummy snacks, info on all the workshops you are about to attend, and a brand new notebook- ready for all the information you are about to take in. Sick, isn't it? I know, but what can I say- is there anything better? 

This conference was a  little different for me. Very good and very informative but also very heavy for a newcomer. Usually, I go to as many workshops as I can because my perfectionism drive is so huge that I must at least attempt to conquer every possible issue that could possibly be affecting my life or in the life of someone I love. Today, however, I committed the unthinkable conference addict sin- I skipped a workshop! I had the opportunity (the room was beckoning me) but I just couldn't do it. My head was too full, swimming in a sea of possible curriculums, various philosophies, statistics, and dare I say it...phonics (my most fearsome thing to conquer if I choose to homeschool).  My head still hurts, though I have gotten a little relief from journaling about it. Lucky for my husband that he had a guys' night scheduled and hasn't been home to "hear all about it"- though I already told him that he has a date in the car tomorrow as we do errands and gets the privilege of listening and nodding at all the appropriate moments.

Things I learned: 

- My curriculum style is F-U-N- if it's not fun, I don't want to look at it (this must be my problem with phonics!)

- I need some structure and direction if I'm going to teach. I like my hand held, especially in new things.

- Colleges actually love getting applications from homeschoolers because of their reputation as great students who love learning.

- One of the easiest ways to identify if someone has dyslexia is to see if they can speak Pig Latin- isn't that awesome!? Do you know what I want to do now? I really want to ask everyone I know to speak Pig Latin just to see. 

- All children are kinestetic learners (learn by moving and doing & feeling/touching) until age 3-5 at which point the girls' can change. The boys, however,  won't change their learning style until at least the age of 7.  This means it is a good thing I have girls. I would much rather deal with lots of girly squeeling than 7 + years of wiggly boys. Unfortunately for Ryan, I think he would appreciate the rough-housing and a little less talking. 

- Whenever you need to discipline, bring God's Word into the matter. Ie. if you are dealing with disobedience, talk about what God's Word says about it.

- And last but not least, First E Free is the most confusing church to navigate around in ever! This may also have contributed to my head hurting.

Overall a great day! Thanks to my hubby who suprised me this afternoon by taking half a day off so I could stay all day! He's just awesome. 

Are you wondering if I am going to be a homeschooler? The jury is still out. We'll see what the Big Man has to say about it. But for now, I enjoyed impersonating one for the day. 


2 comments:

Wendy said...

I totally disagree with the pig latin thing because that makes my head hurt and I DO NOT have dyslexia!

Great job though conquering a homeschool conference pre-homeschooling. You have some great plans!

Denise said...

We are too much alike! I have a wiggly boy (who's 10, so he hasn't grown out of that wiggly boy phase yet!) and a squealie daughter, so this home school adventure is going to be fun. I'm going to a curriculum show and tell tomorrow, and already plan on being completely overwhelmed! Oh, and I LOVE LOST! Loved your costume party, too funny!