Saturday, March 22, 2008

To Springfield Again!

Well, I was off on another adventure to Springfield a weekend or two ago, only this time with my dear friend Wendy!

So my review of Springfield, after having been there twice in a matter of months, is mixed. I have had a lot of fun in Springfield but also a lot of memorable (not the good kind of memorable) experiences.

One not so good memorable moment from the first trip as you may recall was the bad tourist brochure with an inaccurate map. This time around I still got lost numerous times. I thought Missouri roads were bad but really I think Illinios is not doing much better!

Our main horrible memorable moment this time was the hotel we stayed in. If staying in Springfield, do NOT stay in the Travellodge. There were numerous things wrong with this hotel like having no locks on the windows and the floor actually vibrating until 3 in the morning due to a party downstairs. But really, the worst part of it can be summed up in two words- "NO AIR CONDITIONING!" Can you believe that a hotel in this century doesn't have AC!!!??? Mental note, look for AC under the amenities section from now on when booking your hotel. Also, the alarm clock could only be set for times ending in :30! We wanted to get up at 6:00 am but could only set the alarm for 6:30 (or 5:30 but like I ever even considered that!)

Okay, now for the good moments...


The Scrapbooking Store in Springfield is great! We spent lots of time there, agonizing over which pretty papers to buy! I was looking for paper to make placemats for the girls. They turned out so cute! The people at the store were really nice and very helpful. Wendy had to wait forever for me to finally decide on what I was getting. Gee, that's hard to believe. She kept muttering something about making her fetus starve!

We had Chinese for dinner and went to see The Bucket List. Good and I cried. If only I could meet a Jack Nicholson type to take me around the world to sit on the Pyramids and attempt to climb mountains in the Himalayas! Any takers?

Then we went back to the AWFUL hotel, got no sleep, and woke up early to head to our conference for mom's. It was a fun day filled with laughter and lots of information. I attended workshops on marriage, spiritually nurturing my kids, and having contentment. The day ended with the hilariously funny Ken Davis, a comic and speaker. My favorite story of his was his introduction. He said he loves to go out on his motorcycle, winding through the mountains. He pulls off to the side of the road, pulls out a hairdryer and just sits and waits for people to drive by and points it at them. He said the funniest thing is to see the reactions of the men and women. The men always ask their wives should I pull over and the wives are always like no, you idiot, he is on a moped!

And to top off the weekend, we stopped at Outback Steakhouse for what else, but steak!

It was my first trip with Wendy, usually we are talking in broken English and drinking tea with Afghans but this weekend it was just us yacking it away in woman jibberish! What fun! Can't wait for next year. Kevin Leman's coming to Hearts at Home! So are we!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Yes, you obsessing over scrapbooking things! How typical for you. I should have brought a lounge chair, a drink with an umbrella in it, sunglasses, and lots of snacks...for the fetus of course. That would have made choosing white letters for your placemats more bearable!