Monday, March 31, 2008

Ryan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

So it wasn't a good sign when on Saturday at midnight we arrived to pick up our kids from my mom's and Anna and Naomi were still awake! This would be the first omen for how the next 24 hours would go because any parent knows if our children don't sleep, we pay for it the next day. Then, in the car on the way home, at about 12:30 am, Abby threw up repeatedly. Yuck! We put everyone to bed around 1 am and everyone slept until about 9:30 am (a good thing!). The morning and afternoon weren't so bad, just little things happened to Ryan which were annoyances and just got progressively worse. Ryan, who says he has hardly ever cut himself shaving, cut himself twice. Then there was his three hours of free time (another good thing!) when he worked at getting a higher rank on his xbox 360 and somehow forgot to save it, meaning no promotions for him. Later in the day, he decided to make dinner for all of us and needed to thaw some chicken. So he put some chicken under running water in the sink, checking on it frequently to make sure the sink was not overflowing. Naomi had a dirty diaper that needed some attention, the chicken was forgotten...and the sink overflowed and there was nasty chicken water EVERYWHERE (and lots of it)! So he cleaned up that mess and then finished cooking dinner. Unfortunately, and not suprisingly considering his day, the chicken ended up burnt, something he hardly EVER does. You see, he is anal about almost everything! This was clearly not his day. When the girls went to bed, he had to stop by a twelve unit apartment building that we are in the process of cleaning to pick up some things. He came back a half hour later in a mad dash for the phone, calling my stepdad to make sure that the police won't come when the alarm goes off because you guessed it, the alarm went off when he went in and the keypad had been moved. So after being reassured that the most harm done was probably unhappy neighbors, he got off the phone and we settled down to watch a tv show and then got up to go to the bedroom but first I had to get something from the cabinet. So upon opening it, discovered that the chicken water had also leaked inside the cabinet and over LOTS AND LOTS of things, including all our various medicines (which since we get sick so much you can just imagine how many bottles that was!), makeup, feminine products, etc. etc. By this time it was 11:30 pm. So we began the long process of starting to clean up all of the things, rinse them off, and let the cabinet air out. We are still waiting, but it seems like the base of the cabinet is warped. Prior to this, Ryan was talking about how bad of a day he was having. All of the sudden, while cleaning medicine bottles, it finally hit me! I just started laughing hysterically and couldn't stop. You see, as I said before, Ryan is INCREDIBLY anal about everything he does. If you don't believe me, just ask him about his ten step laundry process! I am usually the one to do dumb things. Just a small sampling of my resume includes sitting on our computer, losing a $100 bill, leaving my purse in Hannibal, MO, constantly losing my keys and misplacing things, frequently not having all of the ingredients for a recipe, driving down the street with 10 brand new CDs on the roof of our car, etc. (I could go on and on!) But here was Ryan who had done lots of stupid things which he NEVER does, all in one day. I just could not stop laughing. I still can't really. After cleaning up cabinet mess, I told him we must go directly to bed so nothing else can happen to him (or me!). So we did. Ryan leaves for work in the morning before any of us are awake but he always comes to kiss me goodbye. This morning I told him that I hoped he had a better day today. He said "well, I opened up my backpack this morning and a banana had exploded all over the inside." I hope it doesn't turn into the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week because tomorrow is his birthday! I guess he just decided to make up for the last twenty six years all in a couple of days.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Okay, this is just an observation but why are you keeping medicine and feminine products under the kitchen sink? That's just wierd, not to mention asking for trouble. Unless the story has it that Ryan thawed meat in the bathroom which is also very wierd. So anyway I'm just confused.

I also can't believe you gave the bucket list a 3...shame shame. It was way better than average. Plus it's even sweeter that I got to see it with you instead of Ryan. Ha!

Dana & Ryan said...

Haven't you known us long enough? Of course we are weird! Our kitchen sink was occupied so he moved the thawing process to the bathroom...it's not like it's far or anything...we only have a 1,000 square feet.

Wendy said...

I hope you flush with the lid closed or there are fecal crystals that float around your bathroom otherwise AND ON TO YOUR CHICKEN!!! Yuck! That's just way out of the circle of normal.

Dana & Ryan said...

Yes, we do thank you.

Taylor said...

Sorry dana my moms in a rude stag right now.
lol!
well ttyl